I love this Lentil dahl. I always add extras to this dish, but here is the basic recipe I use. You can build onto with any ingredients you like.
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup red onion chopped
1 clove garlic minced
1/2 to 1 Tbsp garam masala spice mix
4 oz can of green chilies diced
1 cup coconut milk (or tomato sauce)
1 cup water
1/2 tsp better than bouillon vegetable base (or use veg broth instead of water)
1/2 cup lentils (measured dry) (rinsed, soaked in water 15-20 min beforehand)
1. Cook chopped onion in olive oil over medium heat until starts to brown.
2. Add garlic and garam masala. Cook about 30 seconds to 1 min.
3. Add chilies and cook 1 min.
4. Add coconut milk or tomato sauce. I use both depending on what I have on hand and it always turns out delicious either way.
5. Add water with vegetable broth paste or premade vegetable broth.
6. Add lentils after they've been rinsed and soaked for about 15-20 minutes.
7. Bring to a simmer and cover for 25 min or until lentils are tender.
This is a great basic dahl, but you can always add any extras you like. For example: cauliflower, kale (I would add only in the last 2-3 min), sweet potato, bell peppers, cubed tofu. It will all be delicious.
I love to serve mine with naan bread. It's not my recipe, but it's delicious and you can find it here: